Friday, June 22, 2012

"The Thief"

I would like to share you this article I read in a newspaper entitled "THE THIEF". This story narrated by a man who has become wiser because of the experience.

I would never have dreamed he was a thief.  Our acquaintance had all been so friendly and casual.  It started one evening at my front door.  It was a Tuesday in August.  "An entertainer turned salesman," was his smiling approach to me.  But I was not one to be taken off guard so easily.
I prodded him about his background.  "who are you with?" I asked.  It came out that he had ties with several of the largest distilleries.  He also had an account with a prosperous tobacco company.  "At present," he continued, "I am an agent for a leading national magazine."



So I let him come into the living room and I listened to him for a couple of hours.  On learning of his connections, I took pains to tell him of my Christian faith and love for Christ.

"There is no place in my life for such things as liquor or tobacco," I told him deliberately.  "As a Christian, my body is the temple of the Holy Spirit."


I was sure these words would bother or affront him.  But no, he was totally undisturbed by my convictions.  He would hold his view; I could mine.  This status quo was to mark our subsequent discussions.  In a lighthearted moment he told an off-color story.  I cut him off sharply.

As you may imagine, I had reservations on the truth of many of his stories.  Still, I must admit his experiences often excited me.  After having an interesting evening together, I invited him to come back the following night. "It may have a helpful influence on him," was my naive hope.  It took my wife's words to remind me that his return conflicted with our church's midweek prayer meeting.  "I should attend," I confessed, "but I must stand by the invitation I have given this friend."


She was reluctant to accept him.  "I just don't trust him," she would say.  She grew steadily more concerned as he took up more and more of our family life.

My entire day was boring in comparison to my evenings with his character.  He had an imagination that was captivating.  I would sit and laugh myself sick at all his crazy experiences.   There were other times that my hair would stand on end.  His scrapes with the FBI and the law were absolutely breathtaking.

If his stories were true, he was also an 'extra' in motion pictures.  But he couldn't talk about this without including sex.  this forced me to cut him off time and again.

Then he began to affect my teenage son, Charles, and my nine-year old daughter, Eloise.  They just couldn't wait to catch his latest quip or some hair-raising tale.  They would have stayed up all hours if we had allowed. All this distraction was hurting their studies and did their health little good.  I began to worry this fellow's presence in our home.

And then it came, the straw that broke the camel's back.  One day, several of my best books turned up missing.  I searched in vain for them.  "This fellow may be something of a thief," I concluded.  "If he is, who can tell what else he's taken from us?"

It all looked very suspicious.  The next day I was so wrought up I decided to check the next door.  Sure enough, he had taken things there too.  At one friend's home, I noticed no more Christian magazines.  In another the Bible had disappeared.

I was amazed at his subtle maneuvers.  In one home, he had entered as a religious teacher.  Another neighbor, a salesman down the block, knew him as an efficiency expert.  "He's showing me the latest gimmicks."

He certainly had a lot of ways of getting in.

At long last, I realized that my visitor was afflicted with kleptomania.  He had stolen my books, magazines, and time.  But the chief things missing were my close fellowship with Christ and the evenings spent in talking with friends and family.

Some have lost things of real value, not trifles, but precious family things they once enjoyed together.  Spiritual, social, and intellectual experiences have been taken from them, replaced by only a moment's crackpot amusement.

This fellow is no longer in our home.  Although if I could keep him in his place, he would be quite harmless to have around.  Kleptomaniacs are not always deliberately bad.  Even this one may drop in with tidbits of news and a light word or two.  But you must keep your eyes open, or such a person will continually steal things from you.

His name escapes me now, but I will never forget his initials: T.V.

What has TV stolen from you?  Time? Devotions?  Good reading? Wholesome conversation? Church attendance?

Check your list and see.  You may be very surprised at what you'll find missing.

Hey, what are you watching?

Author Unknown
photo credits to google



To get email updates, please subscribe here .
Please like me on Facebook and follow me on Twitter .
Also follow me on Instagram and +1 me on Google +
If you got questions contact me here .


Reactions:

0 comments:

Recent Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
The texts and photos on Black Sheep's Lair belong to the site owner, unless otherwise stated. Should you wish to reproduce the text and/or photo content, kindly send me an email and ask permission first. Thank you. :)